Author(s): Ai, Weiwei; Warsh, Larry
ISBN 10: 0691157669. See all ISBN's
ISBN 13: 9780691157665
Publisher: Princeton University Press
This is an eTextbook Learn More
This collection of quotes demonstrates the elegant simplicity of Ai Weiwei's thoughts on key aspects of his art, politics, and life. A master at communicating powerful ideas in astonishingly few words, Ai Weiwei is known for his innovative use of social media to disseminate his views. The short quotations presented here have been carefully selected from articles, tweets, and interviews given by this acclaimed Chinese artist and activist. The book is organized into six categories: freedom of expression; art and activism; government, power, and moral choices; the digital world; history, the historical moment, and the future; and personal reflections.
Together, these quotes span some of the most revealing moments of Ai Weiwei's eventful career--from his risky investigation into student deaths in the 2008 Sichuan earthquake to his arbitrary arrest in 2011--providing a window into the mind of one of the world's most electrifying and courageous contemporary artists.
Select Quotes from the Book:
On Freedom of Expression
- "Say what you need to say plainly, and then take responsibility for it."
- "A small act is worth a million thoughts."
- "Liberty is about our rights to question everything."
On Art and Activism
- "Everything is art. Everything is politics."
- "The art always wins. Anything can happen to me, but the art will stay."
- "Life is art. Art is life. I never separate it. I don't feel that much anger. I equally have a lot of joy."
On Government, Power, and Making Moral Choices
- "Once you've tasted freedom, it stays in your heart and no one can take it. Then, you can be more powerful than a whole country."
- "I feel powerless all the time, but I regain my energy by making a very small difference that won't cost me much."
- "Tips on surviving the regime: Respect yourself and speak for others. Do one small thing every day to prove the existence of justice."
On the Digital World
- "Only with the Internet can a peasant I have never met hear my voice and I can learn what's on his mind. A fairy tale has come true."
- "The Internet is uncontrollable. And if the Internet is uncontrollable, freedom will win. It's as simple as that."
- "The Internet is the best thing that could have happened to China."
On History, the Historical Moment, and the Future
- "If a nation cannot face its past, it has no future."
- "We need to get out of the old language."
- "The world is a sphere, there is no East or West."
- "I've never planned any part of my career-- except being an artist. And I was pushed into that corner because I thought being an artist was the only way to have a little freedom."
- "Anyone fighting for freedom does not want to totally lose their freedom."
- "Expressing oneself is like a drug. I'm so addicted to it."
All ISBN's for this title:
ISBN 10: 0691157669, ISBN 13: 9780691157665, eISBN 10: 1400845858, eISBN 13: 97814008458591. List price can refer to either the digital or print list price, whichever is available to Kno.
Kno offers a 15-day, no questions asked, money back guarantee for all books you buy or rent through the Kno Bookstore. You are eligible for a full refund so long as you do not exceed the chapter limitation notification that appears in the textbook within a 15-day period.
Kno has the largest collection of digital textbooks on the market today. However, publishers do not have rights to make some of their textbooks available in a digital form. But that is changing over time and Kno is working with our publisher partners to make as many titles available digitally as possible.
An eTextbook is the digital version of a physical textbook.
All eTextbooks provided by Kno.com maintain the exact same page numbers and content as their physical versions.
Well, this is embarrassing.
Your transaction was not completed, please try again.
Sorry, there was a problem and your transaction was not processed completely. Please do not try to purchase this book again.
Instead contact Kno Customer Service at 1.877.935.6648 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org and provide them with the following message number "1201" and they will resolve the issue.
Oops, looks like you already own this book.
Please check your course manager and review your purchased titles.
Hmmm, that's strange.
It appears that this title is not in our catalog after all.
The transaction did not complete because your credit card was declined. Possible reasons include:
- Your bank or credit card company is having technical issues
- The credit card has expired
- The credit card does not have sufficient funds
Our credit card processing service does not specify the cause, so we recommend calling your credit card provider for details.
In a recent customer survey 54% of students using Kno got an A in their class. Kno has over 70 features that will improve your grades, save you time and help you get smarter!
Here's Just a Taste of What Kno Offers
organizes all your textbooks, PDFs and content in one spot.
instantly converts terms from your textbook into beautifully designed and smart flash cards.
any text on a page.
turns any diagram in a book into a multiple choice quiz.
maps instructional videos, images, and photos to formulas & concepts in your book.